Sunday, April 13, 2008

Google: googol?

It is obvious that the giant search engine Google, was bestowed its name based on "googol" meaning 1 followed by 100 zeros. Living up to its expectation and more, Google produces more than 100 search answers for almost any keyword typed in. What most people aren't aware of however, is that Google is much more than a simple search engine.

Google has five basic sections:
1. Search
2. Enterprise
3. Mobile
4. Applications
5. Ads

Search, is what most of us are aware of. However, Ads and Applications are growing in awareness as well. Ads allows people to advertise on their websites in order to earn money, and also allows companies to list themselves on Google. I could, if I wanted to, advertise on this blog! That way, I could earn a little extra pocket money! :)

Applications are endless, ranging from Google Earth to Google scholar to gMail. Almost everyone has a gmail account now, and many websites require that you do in order for you to become a member; www.blogspot.com is one such website.


In short, Google is like the mastermind of the Internet. I can imagine it controlling or buying over the entire Internet one day, and making it more of a success than it already is.

No comments: